What is Light Transmission in Sunglasses?

What is Light Transmission in Sunglasses?

Sunglasses, a crucial accessory for most people, are not just a fashion statement. They serve a critical purpose in protecting our eyes from harmful UV radiation and reducing glare. The central principle that makes this function possible is ‘light transmission.’ This article aims to provide an in-depth explanation of what is light transmission in sunglasses is, its importance, and how different factors affect it.

Understanding Light Transmission

Julbo Renegade

What is Light Transmission?

Light transmission is the measure of the amount of light that passes through a material. In the context of sunglasses, it refers to the percentage of visible light that the lens allows to reach your eyes. This characteristic significantly affects the sunglasses’ efficiency in providing clear vision, comfort, and safety under various lighting conditions.

How is Light Transmission Measured?

Light transmission is quantified as a percentage and it varies with different types of sunglasses. For example, a pair of sunglasses with a light transmission value of 20% allows 20% of visible light to pass through the lenses. The remaining 80% is either absorbed or reflected by the lens. Sunglasses designed for bright, sunny environments usually have lower light transmission rates, while those designed for overcast or low-light conditions will have higher rates.

The Role of Light Transmission in Sunglasses

Protecting the Eyes

One of the main roles of light transmission in sunglasses is to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. Sunglasses with a lower light transmission rate, typically less than 10%, offer excellent UV protection. This is vital as prolonged exposure to UV rays can cause eye problems such as cataracts and macular degeneration.

Enhancing Comfort and Visual Acuity

Another role of light transmission is enhancing visual comfort. Sunglasses that block too much light can make the environment appear dark and obscure details, while those that allow too much light to pass through can cause discomfort and glare. Therefore, an appropriate light transmission rate is essential for comfortable vision.

Factors Affecting Light Transmission

Tint Color and Density

The color and density of the lens tint can significantly impact light transmission. Darker tints, like black and brown, generally have lower light transmission percentages, making them suitable for bright, sunny days. Lighter tints, such as yellow and pink, have higher light transmission percentages, making them better for overcast or low-light situations. The density of the tint also plays a role: the denser the tint, the lower the light transmission.

Lens Material

The material from which the sunglasses’ lenses are made also influences light transmission. Polycarbonate and glass lenses usually offer lower light transmission compared to plastic lenses. Additionally, lenses made from high-index materials tend to have a lower light transmission rate due to the material’s higher refractive index.

Lens Coatings

Lens coatings can also affect light transmission. For example, mirror coatings reflect more light and thus reduce the amount of light that is transmitted through the lens. Similarly, anti-reflective coatings minimize the amount of light reflected off the back surface of the lens, allowing more light to be transmitted and improving visual clarity.


Understanding light transmission in sunglasses is crucial when choosing the right pair for your needs. The measure plays a pivotal role in ensuring your sunglasses provide the necessary UV protection, visual comfort, and acuity. Remember, the ideal sunglasses are not just about style; they are also about safety and comfort for your eyes. Choose wisely by understanding the light transmission factor, keeping in mind the color, density, material, and coatings of the lenses.

Share post on
Yasir Jamal
By Yasir Jamal

Hey folks, meet Yasir Jamal here. As a blogger for more than six years, my passion has never faded. I love writing in a variety of niches and writing about outdoor gear and helpful guides for your outdoor ventures. This site is mainly focused on sunglasses. I have a keen interest and bringing in the right information and honest reviews in my blog posts. So stay with me and never spend another dime on a worthless product.

Sunglasses Hook is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Recent Comments